Sunday, Oct. 8th
12:00 – 2:00pm
Celebrate the Lark in the Park with us!
The Tortoise and the Hare Hike at Frick Pond
offers two choices, so both beginner and intermediate hikers can join in.
“Tortoises” will enjoy a 2.2-mile loop around scenic Frick Pond, and the “Hares” will enjoy a brisk 4.1 mile scamper.
Both groups will head out together; then the Hares veer off halfway around Frick Pond, at the intersection known as “Times Square,” for 1 mile uphill on Big Rock Trail, followed by 1.7 miles gently downhill on the Flynn Trail back to the trailhead.
Pick the hike length that best fits your ability. We’ll try to arrive back at the trailhead at the same time! Trail surface includes rocky terrain with some tree roots along the way.
Trip leaders: Lisa Lyons of Morgan Outdoors and Heather Jacksy of SC Planning – two of the partner organizations in TrailKeeper.org, which is celebrating 4 years as an online source of trail information in Sullivan County. No dogs on this hike.
– Meet: 12:00pm at Frick Pond Trailhead, Beech Mtn. Road, Mongaup State Park, Livingston Manor, NY (9 miles from Morgan Outdoors)
– Bring: water, snacks, camera, hiking poles if you like to use them. Wear: layered clothing, to remove or add as needed, and sturdy shoes.
– Register: by October 7, 2017 Fill out a simple registration form on the Lark in the Park website.
– Group size is limited so register early.
Let us know which hike length you prefer Tortoise or Hare when we meet at the trailjead.
– Cancellation Plan: Lightning and heavy rain will cancel. Otherwise, we’re bringing raincoats and waterproof boots for a fabulous walk in the rain! Call 845 439 5507 for cancellation update.
Driving Directions: From Rt. 17, Exit 96, Livingston Manor. Turn onto DeBruce Road (CR 82) and follow NE for 6 miles to Mongaup Rd. Turn left onto Mongaup Road, follow 2.5 miles (past DEC Fish Hatchery on right) to fork in the road. At fork, bear left onto Beech Mtn. Rd. and proceed 0.3 miles to Frick Pond Trailhead parking lot on LEFT.